Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Sunday, June 30, 2013

One week at Los Martinceto's


I have completed my first full week of placement at Los Martinceto's and it was a great week. Each day is an experience and I'm so thankful that I am able to be there and to have this experience. While my placement is Monday to Friday for two weeks I know one cannot change the world in 10 days of volunteering. What I am able to do is become part of a collaborative support system all working towards the same objective. The staff at Los Martinceto's is a self sustaining system that appreciates the kindness and generosity of those volunteering their time and efforts. Each day when I leave I feel I have provided at least in part a portion of that overall objective. The daily structure is very straightforward and I am finding my place amidst that structure.

I love every moment of being there and seeing the happiness of the residents is all the more I could ever want. A warm joyful smile and a hug mean more than any materialistic item in this world. It is these moments that make this experience unique and powerful and I want to cherish these memories now and forever.

I know now in my heart I want to return to the states and continue to provide the same joy and happiness to others. Just because my international journey is drawing to a close doesn't mean my lifelong journey has to cease. Looking ahead I have one more week to be a part of this experience here in Peru and a lifetime to reflect upon the lessons of this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment