Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Martes & Miércoles
On Tuesday, June 25 I got to conduct home visits as part of my placement at Los Martinceto's Senior Center. We picked up Tony who is the program director at our placement and headed out into Villa El Salvador to visit some of the residents at their homes. To protect the privacy of the residents I am not going to disclose any information other than to say never take for granted what you have. Be glad you have your woes and tough times because they are nothing compared to what some people must endure daily. These home visits shocked me to my core and forced me to reexamine my life and what I previously held relevant to what is truly important. I knew these visits would impact me emotionally I just never dreamed how significantly it would alter my perceptions of life. To day that it is profound is an understatement.
My heart is forever touched by those who I have met thus far and those who I will meet over the next week and a half.
On Wednesday I was back at the senior center and having a great time. Today I got to help cut rolls for breakfast and then served breakfast to the residents. I enjoy this time of day as I get to walk around and I interact with the residents. Each day their smiling faces warm my heart and teach me lessons in life I will cherish always.
Following breakfast the market goers returned and we set about preparing lunch. Myself and the other volunteers cut vegetables, stirred pots of yummy soups and helped in any way we could. Today we were treated to a taste of the amazing food that we helped prepare. It was a soul warming soup with leafy greens, chick peas, various spices and broth unlike any other soup.
We then took runoff water from the kitchen outside the gates and watered the trees and plants. This is important as it almost never rains in this region. Also today it was bingo for the residents hosted by the students of an area school. It was enjoyable to watch the bingo games and see the students interact with the residents.
When I go in on Thursday it will be another round of home visits in the area. I look forward to seeing the residents as I'm sure they are happy to see us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment