Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Monday, June 17, 2013

Volunteering followed by the Inka Market



It continues to amaze that even though I am 3,700 miles away from everything I know and rely upon there are many reminders of my job back home. Whether I am in Peru or Greensburg, Pennsylvania the fundamental basics remain intact when working in special education. The teacher is consistent in her daily classes and maintains this from day to day. Her students are also able to see the schedule visually thanks to a visual schedule that is available at the top of the page. So many similarities and just a subtle variance in the way it is executed here in Peru,

Even though I may not fully understand Spanish I do understand that with dedicated staff who love their job and genuinely are there for the student anything is possible. To be so welcomed into a classroom in a foreign country and be part of their lives makes my heart fall to pieces. I truly love it at Anjo  Gabriel and love being apart of this new family of friends.

Today I was able to help prepare materials for the students by drawing objects that will be used tomorrow. Lets just say my ability to draw is being used, which is great. While I am working on these projects the teacher is able to spend more time one on one with the students and that is what I am here for to allow her to give more time to her students. I was also able to work one on one with the students practicing color identification, hand eye coordination and attention to task. Following lunch we listen to the radio and I find myself recognizing more and songs and signing along as they come on. For instance Thriller by Michael Jackson came on and we ere able to connect via a mutual appreciation of music of all kinds.

As anxious as I am to learn more spanish they are equally interested in English and learning the English words for various items. I was able to follow conversations better and to reply at least in small increments. We talked about trip to Caral and they asked if I'd bring photographs in to share. Just to be able to have small conversations and to somewhat understand what's happening is an improvement.

Following lunch volunteers were bused to the Inka Market for a chance to shop in the seemingly endless stores. Everywhere I looked there were amazing items for sale like original paintings, jewelry, clothing items made from alpaca fur and so much more. I did may share of shopping and got some amazing deals like an original painting for s/. 55 soles or $20 US. It is important to know that when shopping at these places never pay asking price as you are expected to haggle. The painting for example started at s/. 70 and I got it down s/.15. Multiply this across many stores and the savings add up. In the instances where I struggled with Spanish I had the store owners get a calculator and we haggled via a calculator. I would make an offer and they would counter offer and this is how I got it done. So much fun to do. In case your wondering the painting is a beautifully painted garden scene with rich vibrant colors and great textures. Pictures when I get home. I just couldn't walk away from it.

The day is not done yet and it has been fulfilling in every aspect thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment