Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Monday, June 24, 2013

Goodbye Anjo Gabriel


So today marks the end of my journey at Anjo Gabriel school for Special Education in San Juan de Miraflores. The past two weeks have been an emotional event unlike any other I've experienced in my life. There were moments of frustration, joy, confusion and even sadness as I tried to find my place at the school. I do consider myself very fortunate that I had an amazing teacher who was incredibly patient with me. We took each day one step at a time and found our own way to work harmoniously as one. Perhaps equally important is my time with the children I worked one on one with each day. For the first few days it was tough because they didn't know what to make of me and vice versa.

I will never forget the moment Sojoshi actually acknowledged my existence in the classroom. I was drawing worksheets for the teacher and he came up and put his arm around me, leaned on my shoulder and was very affectionate and loving. It was such an amazing moment to know that he actually acknowledged me, it made my heart fall to pieces. As the days progressed he continued to acknowledge and interact more with me as well as Jesús who waited at the door each day to see me. I will say Jesús was the most engaging socially and I know it was hard for him at times as I didn't always understand. But we tried to work through it and for the most part we were able to understand one another.

I don't even know where to begin other to start by saying it was an amazing day and one that has touched my heart in ways I can't fully describe.  When Maria and I arrived at Anjo Gabriel it was a little chaotic to say the least as the majority of students were all in one classroom. As loud and busy as it was I really enjoyed it because it allowed me to interact with the younger students who were typically upstairs all day. So it was enjoyable to say the least. Throughout the morning we busied ourselves by helping the staff upstairs and downstairs with anything we could do.

As the morning progressed it soon apparent the staff of Anjo Gabriel was planning something, which was quickly revealed. They had us sit down in a circle amongst the other staff members and students and one by one began to thank us for all we have done. Hearing each staff member tell us how much of an impact we made and that we are kind hearted and special for being there was so heartwarming. As if I wasn't emotional already they surprised us with cards they made. at that point I lost it and began to cry. Never have I felt so emotionally touched as I did at that moment when surrounded by the staff of Anjo Gabriel. The rest of the day was a fiesta for sure with drinks, snacks, music, laughs, hugs and kisses. Even now as I type this blog I can't help but feel emotionally humbled and a little teary eyed as I reflect on the day.

My journey at Anjo Gabriel has been once in a lifetime and will always be in my heart. I don't feel this experience would have been as amazing as it was without the staff and students. They truly made this experience unique and opened my heart and broadened my horizons to a level I never dreamed possible.

To everyone at Anjo Gabriel I thank you all for making my time in Peru memorable and I will always have you in my heart, prayers and dreams. May our paths one day cross again.

1 comment: