Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Sunday, June 16, 2013

A week abroad


This first week has been fun and chaotic with so many ups and downs its hard to keep track of everything. But I wanted everyone to know that I am doing well and wouldn't be here without your support. During the first half of the week I was able to begin my placement at Anjo Gabriel in San Juan. I get to work in a physical support room where I aid e teacher with daily tasks, such as one on one activities, daily living skills,  behavior management and so much more. Since some of the kids have been out sick I was only able to meet three students so far. But each day is amazing with kids and the school is wonderful with a great staff who are like family and truly care about the students they are helping.

In addition to my placement I have been able to go out into the city and surrounding neighborhoods to experience the local culture. Each time I venture out I learn more and more about the city and it makes each day that much better.  The people I am meeting along the way are just as amazing and each person brings something special and unique to the overall group.

I was fortunate enough this past Friday to try something a little different and was allowed to visit the senior center and enjoy the Father's Day fiesta. I helped cut vegetables and to prepare meals for breakfast and lunch with the other volunteers. It was a truly humbling experience being there. Everyone there is so welcoming and genuinely happy to see you each day. During my visit a sweet lady gave me a Father's Day pin and even though I'm not a padre it meant a lot and me smile.

I wish I could share every moment of the trip with people but that is not a realistic goal. I will however share as much and as often as I am able with everyone. Thank you all for supporting me and helping make this experience a reality.    

No comments:

Post a Comment