Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Monday, June 10, 2013

Greetings from Peru.


All my planning and preparations came down to the final twenty four hours.   The day was spent with family and my fiancé, which is exactly what I hoped for.  As grateful as I was to have that time it was hard knowing it was almost time to leave. I wouldn't have made it to the airport packed and ready without their help and I couldn't be more grateful.  That said I can only imagine how difficult I was to be around those last couple of hours.

As I stood in line at the airport security check point I found myself lingering with the difficult choice of leaving for Peru. The final goodbye was so hard but I knew that greater challenges awaited me and that it would all be worth it. Before I knew it I was through security and sitting at the terminal waiting for my boarding announcement. While waiting I was fortunate enough to meet other volunteers also traveling to Lima, Peru with Cross Cultural Solutions. It was a joy and pleasure and I am very lucky to have made some new friends who will share in this experience With me. A quick flight to Newark and a layover that allowed time for a quick lunch and time to think about my next stop.

Once aboard the plane it was seven and half hours of movies, snacks and fun conversation with other groups traveling to Peru. As we approached Lima I couldn't help but feel anxious as my destination rapidly approached. So much was about the happen in just a short time. For instance, could I navigate the airport, could I find my luggage and could I survive the customs checkpoint? Before facing the uncertainty of traversing a foreign country I had a moment of pure joy. When the wheels touched down and the captain said welcome to Peru I couldn't help but feel proud. That very moment was the culmination of 300 days of dedication to a dream and everything needed to make it a reality. I've worked and planned for this moment and all that follows and it was an amazing feeling that I succeeded. It taught me anything is possible through determination.

Once off the plane it became very apparent I was no longer within the United States and the cultural barrier had been breached. To see all the signs of the airport and even familiar signs were in a different language. Thankfully, the airport is set up with Spanish and English language signs and everything is clearly marked. Basically, it was a matter of following the arrows to Customs and baggage claim. First you go through customs where they verified my passport and signed off on the forms received on the plane. The forms are for the purpose of visit and then a baggage claim form. Next I went to baggage claim and searched for my belongings and and then an airport employee checked my baggage receipt I got in Pittsburgh.  Only now do I regret the amount of stuff packed as I dragged it through the airport.  Lastly, on the way out I had to show my papers to the attendant and push a green button before exiting. If it flashes green you can leave but if it flashes red then you are subjected to an additional screening. Guess who had a red flashing light, I did. It's simply a matter of putting your luggage on a conveyor belt and it gets scanned. So finally after all that I was able to leave, a Cross Cultural Solutions rep was waiting for all participants with a sign. After everything it was a relief to see a CCS rep and know that I had arrived in Peru. He assisted us out to the car and was very helpful and got us all packed up and before I knew it we were on our way to the house.
What a cultural experience seeing the sights and sounds of Lima  as we traveled to our destination in San Borja.

After a short drive we arrived at the house and the feeling of being home and at ease only continued. Everything was in place for our arrival including our rooms, our mail boxes, a welcome message and courteous staff members. Such a joy to be here and I can only imagine what awaits.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the great blog! You were meant to do this man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete