Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru

Cross Cultural Solutions - Peru
International Volunteer Program

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Looking Back: Los Martincito's






Looking back and realizing my experience at Los Martincito’s was by chance is difficult to comprehend even now. The mere notion that I could have missed this opportunity if it weren’t for the incident at Anjo Gabriel is equally difficult to grasp. As I mentioned in “Looking Back: Anjo Gabriel” I was bitten by a student during a behavior incident. This unfortunate situation set in motion a series of events that would inevitably define my journey in Peru. The single moment that forever changed me occurred on July 04 atop a hillside in Villa el Salvador.

Before I get to that let’s go back to my first day at Los Martincito’s, Feliz Dia Papitos. It was a Friday and I ended up riding along with the other volunteers because I was still not permitted to return to Anjo Gabriel. The reason I wasn’t permitted to return was due to the open wound on my arm. Upon arrival I was immediately greeted with warm smiles, hugs and sweet kisses from the seniors at the center. Even though I was there for the day I was welcomed into the center with overwhelming love and everyone was generally pleased to see me there. As if that weren’t enough I was able to help in the kitchen by preparing meals and spending time with kitchen staff and fellow volunteers. Overall it was just a great feeling to be there and to have a place and know I was contributing in my own small way to the overall success of the facility. Today was a special day indeed as it was Father’s Day so there was music, dancing and everyone having a tremendous amount of fun. One of the seniors approached me and pinned a Father’s Day pin on my jacket and gave me a hug, which was incredibly sweet even if I am not a father. This pin may seem insignificant but it has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. Since arriving in Peru I don’t think I had so much fun and this day convinced me I needed to experience Los Martincito’s in its entirety following completion of placement at Anjo Gabriel.

During my two weeks at Los Martincito’s I was able to do many incredible things both inside the center and outside in the surrounding community. The consistent aspects throughout my entire experience were the loving residents and incredible staff that ensured the center was run efficiently each day. Each and every day the residents were so pleased and genuinely happy to see us, which made this entire journey so heartwarming. During the day to day operations I was able to help with preparing meals, by cutting vegetables and anything the staff asked of me. I helped serve breakfast each day and then cleared tables by taking dishes to be washed. In truth, it didn’t matter what was asked of me as I was happy to contribute in any way possible. While it is important to know that I never expected to change the world I just wanted to contribute to an ongoing initiative for continued success. I truly believe that Los Martincito’s allowed me to do this each and every day that I was there.

I also had the opportunity to visit an open-air market on multiple occasions where I helped carry fresh foods needed to prepare meals for the day. This was my first open-air market experience and was unlike anything I’ve previously experienced. It is certainly not like going to Wal-Mart back home I will say that. As you traverse the aisles you are greeted with a variety of smells emanating from the fresh seafood, freshly cut chickens and other game as well the many varieties of produce. At times it’s not a place for the faint of heart as the sights of chickens being cut open, their heads removed and others being split open and hung from hooks can be tough to watch. It is one thing to see a market like this on the travel channel but an entirely different experience to walk the aisles in person. In addition to fresh foods and vegetables they sold a variety of other items that someone may need at home.

Perhaps the most enriching part of my experience at Los Martincito’s involved the bi-weekly home visits. Each week on Tuesdays and Thursdays we were able to go out into the surrounding community and visit seniors in their homes. To be standing in someone’s living room in Villa el Salvador and hearing their story and experiencing their lives first hand is unlike anything you can imagine unless you’ve been there. When I first decided to become an international volunteer and learn about a culture beyond the tourist destinations this is precisely what I had in mind. In addition to home visits on Thursday we typically went to visit a location within the community so that we could gain cultural enrichment. The previous week we visited a local theater called Arena y Esteras which is an organization of artists, educators and leaders committed to the surrounding community. They focus on art (theater, circus, music, dance and visual arts) that contributes to human development and social transformation.  

On Thursday July 04, following home visits we had a very special cultural enrichment visit and it is one that still gives me goose bumps. We drove to the top of a hillside in Villa el Salvador and standing atop this hillside we were able to see all of Villa el Salvador from the hills to the coast. It was an awe inspiring moment and in that moment the culmination of my journey through Peru was realized as I stood in amazement of what I was witnessing. It was truly a moment unlike any other I’ve experienced up to that point in my life. I don’t know if I will ever be able to recapture the precise emotion I felt at that moment.

There is no amount of detail that can sufficiently explain my experience of being in Villa el Salvador, spending time with the seniors and volunteering at Los Martincito’s. Leaving this experience I have learned a great deal about human resilience in the face of adversity and problems are only what you perceive them to be. This experience will forever be in my heart and memories. 



Villa el Salvador, Peru (July 04, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment